- Cigars have been made in Florida since 1831
- Today, 70% of the cigars sold in the U.S. are either made or imported through Florida
- There are over 250 Small Business "Mom-and-Pop" cigar shops in Florida
- There are over 60 Family-Owned, Small Business Cigar Manufacturers, Leaf Dealers, Importers and Cigar Company Headquarters in Florida
- Cigars are enjoyed as a SOCIAL hobby, not as an addictive habit
- Cigars are an ADULT product that are very price sensitive - demand is greatly affected by increasing taxes, especially taxes related to total weight
- Cigar taxes are JOB KILLERS!
- Cigar taxes increased 700% last year at a Federal Level, one of the highest tax increases on any product in recorded history!
- Last year's cigar tax increase in Florida led to the closing of the 105-year old Hav-a-Tampa factory in August of 2009, putting 500 people out-of-work in the middle of a recession.
- Over 5,500 people are still today directly or indirectly employed in the Florida Cigar Industry; any additional tax on the state level would put most of them out of work.
Monday, March 1, 2010
Do you know....
....the FACTS about the Florida Cigar Industry??? As listed at the 2010 Florida Cigar Summit, here are a few FACTS about the Cigar Industry in Florida: